Ok! So cheese empanadas are my all-time favorite.
My mom used to make these all the time. She shared the recipe with me, and I am so thankful for her kindness and cooperation (THANKS MOM) These bring back so many childhood memories. My mom used to sell these around my neighborhood in the Dominican Republic. It was a SCRUMPTIOUS side hustle if you ask me. There is nothing better than a Cheese Empanadas and my neighbors knew that.
If you want to set the right mood in any Dominican party, you need to have empanadas, Kibbeh and Chicken Croquettes. It is a tradition! However, Empanadas are part of many Hispanic Countries.
We are celebrating Dominican Independence day this month, and what better way to celebrate than with this amazing Cheese Empanadas recipe.
What do you need to make these?
- All-Purpose Flour
- Monterrey Jack Cheese
- Canola Oil
I know some people do not believe in perfection, but let’s agree to disagree. This is THE PERFECT empanada dough recipe. What makes it perfect you may ask? Well… It is easy to make and it requires minimum kneading (AMAZING) This dough has the perfect amount of butter, salt and sugar. Adding sugar gives the dough the perfect balance. You already know that balance is key! This recipe is my current obsession, and there is nothing wrong with that.
Every time I visit Dominican Republic I always ask my mom to make Empanadas, Kibbeh and Chicken croquettes. I love finger food so much. Believe me when I tell you I could eat a whole platter by myself, yup! I am not ashamed.
Let’s take a look at the Method at a Glance:
- Melt butter.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl or flat surface, and make a well in the middle.
- Whisk the egg, egg yolk and water.
- Add the egg and water mixture and melted butter into the well.
- Start mixing all ingredients gently using a fork.
- Knead the dough and split into 4 balls , let it rest (covered with plastic film) for about 15 minutes.
- Roll out the dough in a lightly-floured surface.
- Cut out circles 4″ (10 cm) in diameter (I used a 4″ in diameter Empanada Press).
- Fill with Cheese.
- Press using Empanada Press.
Note: Covering the dough keeps it from drying out.
I kneaded the dough by hand. You could also use a standard mixer or food processor. I kneaded the dough in a large bowl. If you feel the dough is to dry you can add a bit of water, if you feel is too wet add a bit more of flour. I used a small Empanada press, you can find these on Amazon.
Finally…since we are talking about finger food, did you check these ?https://ascrumptiousbite.com/bacon-wrapped-jalapeno-poppers/
God Bless You!
Delicious and easy to make Cheese Empanadas.
- 4 Cups All-Purpose Flour plus extra to work with the dough
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 Cup melted Butter
- 1 Whole Egg plus 1 Yolk
- 1 Cup Water plus 1 Tablespoon
- 1/4 Teaspoon White Sugar
- 4 Cups Monterrey Jack Cheese for the filling
- 2 Cups Canola Oil (for frying)
- Step 1 Mix All-Purpose Flour, Salt, and White Sugar in a large bowl. Make a well in the middle.
- Step 2 Whisk Egg, Egg Yolk and water.
- Step 3 Add Egg and Water mixture, and melted Butter into the well.
- Step 4 Mix all ingredients slowly with a fork until everything is well combined. Knead Dough and cut it into 4 balls.
- Step 5 Let the Dough rest for 15 minutes (covered in plastic film)
- Step 6 On a lightly-floured surface roll out the though.
- Step 7 Cut out circles 4″ (10 cm) in diameter.
- Step 8 Fill each Empanada with Cheese and press using the Empanada Press.
- Step 9 Deep fry in canola Oil