Well, well, well…What do we have here?
Is it a perfect cup of hot chocolate? Yes, it is.
It is cold in New York City, and we are expecting snow this week, however, everything is better with a cup of hot chocolate.
This is a traditional Dominican drink, and I know you may think: LUZ EVERYONE DRINKS HOT CHOCOLATE! What makes it so special? It has oatmeal! Say what?!
I know it may sound like too much, oatmeal plus the chocolate=CALORIES! I know… But the oatmeal gives the chocolate such a rich consistency, It is hard to resist. There is nothing like it, and I know you won’t regret making this recipe.
As I said this is a typical Dominican recipe, we drink this with a slice of bread for breakfast or dinner. It is easy, and it is ready within minutes.
I used cinnamon sticks and cloves, you can also add star anise too. I ground the rolled oats to achieve a better consistency and to prevent the chocolate from getting too thick.
It is finally “the most wonderful time of the year” I can’t wait for Christmas break and of course Christmas movies. I love this time of the year, new resolutions, family reunions and of course lots and lots of food, which is my favorite part.
What is your favorite dish during the holidays? I really like roasted chicken and pernil and this lemon and herbs butter goes perfectly with either.
Finally, I love giving advice to those who read me, and I advise you to get all these ingredients and prepare this hot chocolate (You are going to thank me) Enjoy!
God Bless You,
Delicious and easy to make hot chocolate
- 4 cups whole milk
- 5 cups water
- 6 oz chopped dark chocolate
- 1 cup ground oatmeal
- 5 cinnamon sticks
- 10 whole cloves
- 5 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoons salt
- Miniature marshmallows, and whipped cream optional.
- Step 1 Grind the oatmeal in a blender or food processor.
- Step 2 Heat milk in a large pot, add the water, chocolate, oatmeal, cinnamon sticks, cloves, brown sugar, and salt. Let it simmer uncovered for about 20 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Step 3 Note: If the chocolate is getting too thick add more water until you achieve the desired consistency.