Isn’t it exciting to say that summer is here? Exciting is an understatement to me. I feel so inspired and ready to share with you these Picnic Ideas.
So what people typically eat on a picnic is finger food. I know that a salad is not much of finger food, However, enjoying this orzo salad at the park is totally worth it.
There’s nothing better than enjoying the beauty of nature, and of course enjoying food (amazing, delicious, tasty, scrumptious food) if you know what I mean.
This honey turkey breast and cheese sandwich and the orzo salad are your new favorite thing. Let’s just say you won’t be craving a grilled sandwich for a while.
I love the freshness of the arugula, the combination of american cheese, and provolone cheese and the sweetness of honey turkey breast. Did I mention how amazing is this orzo salad with “pesto” and mouthwatering toasted walnuts?
When it comes to Picnic Ideas, a sandwich and salad go together like peanut butter and jelly.
As per usual I shared some of this salad and sandwich with some friends, who loved it by the way. I also posted this Spring Mix Salad Recipe a few months ago, just in case you are not into pasta salads.
Can we also talk about Infused water? A combination of lemon, mint, and berries, DELICIOUS, if you ask me.
Let’s talk about Orzo
What is Orzo?
Orzo is a grain-shaped pasta made of semolina flour. It takes about 8-10 minutes to cook (al dente).
Ingredients and Method at a glance:
What do you need to make these recipes?
For the Orzo Salad, you need:
- Parmesan Cheese
- Olive Oil
- Lemon Juice
- Grape Tomatoes
- Kosher Salt
- Freshly Ground Pepper
For the Honey Turkey Breast Sandwich:
- 8 or 13-grain Wheat Bread
- Provolone Cheese
- American Cheese
- Honey Turkey Breast
- Dijon Style Mustard
For the infused water:
- Lemon or Lime
- Mint leafs.
Seasonal fruits like watermelon and strawberry are also a good idea.
The method at a glance:
For the Orzo Salad:
- Cook pasta according to package. Drain and set aside once cooked.
- In a small saute pan, melt butter at low-medium heat, add a garlic clove, walnuts, and thyme. Season lightly with salt. Cook for about 5 minutes stirring occasionally, please be watchful, nuts can burn very easily. Once ready, chop walnuts and set aside.
- In a blender or food processor container, blend basil, garlic cloves, parmesan cheese, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- In a large bowl, add orzo, basil, garlic and parm combination, add chopped walnuts. Adjust seasoning if needed.
- Finish with parmesan cheese, more lemon juice or olive oil (if desired). Keep in the fridge until ready to eat.
For the Honey Turkey Breast sandwich:
- First, spread some of the Dijon-style Mustard on each bread slice.
- Second, add honey turkey breast.
- Third, add provolone cheese
- Add american cheese.
- Add a handful of arugula.
How to wrap a sandwich?
So let’s be honest, I had to watch a youtube tutorial for this. I had no idea how to wrap a sandwich. I searched and found a tutorial from Serious Eats How to Wrap Your Sandwich
After all, it is also about the presentation, right?
Finally… In case that like me, you are into delicious summer recipes, do not forget to check this Bacon Cheeseburger recipe. What is life?! This right here is everything you need!! You feel me?
Do not forget to add your favorite fruits or dessert to your picnic basket.
Did you make this recipe? Do not forget to tag us on Facebook or Instagram @ascrumptiousbite.
God Bless You!
Delicious Orzo Salad with Honey Turkey Breast Sandwich.
- For the Orzo Salad:
- 1 cup uncooked orzo
- 12 grape tomatoes halved
- 2 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese plus extra
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- 1 garlic clove peeled (to toast walnuts)
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- basil (a handful)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves peeled
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice plus extra
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- For the Honey Turkey Breast Sandwich:
- 4 slices 8-grain bread
- Dijon-style mustard
- 8 slices honey turkey breast (4 per sandwich)
- 8 slices yellow american cheese (4 per sandwich)
- 8 slices provolone cheese (4 per sandwich)
- Parchment paper to wrap sandwich (if desired)
- Step 1 Cook pasta according to package (8 to 10 minutes) drain and set aside.
- Step 2 While Pasta is cooking, melt butter in a small saute pan, add garlic clove, walnuts, and thyme. Season with salt. Cook for about 5 minutes on low-medium heat stirring occasionally. Be watchful as nuts burn very easily. Once ready chop and set aside.
- Step 3 In a blender or food processor container, add basil, garlic cloves, parmesan cheese, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Step 4 In a large bowl, mix cooked pasta, basil sauce, chopped almonds, and tomatoes, mix well.
- Step 5 Finish with more parmesan cheese and lemon juice. If desired.
- Step 6 For the Turkey Breast Sandwich:
- Step 7 Spread some of the Dijon-style mustard on both bread slices.
- Step 8 Add honey turkey breast.
- Step 9 Add american cheese
- Step 10 Add provolone cheese
- Step 11 Top with a handful of arugula