White Rice is my favorite thing in the world. I honestly do not worry about carbs while eating rice (well…sometimes) This Spring White Rice is a perfect side dish.
Grilling Season is here!
I know Spring is almost over (Just thinking about that makes me so happy) Grilling Season is here!!!! Memorial Day was on Monday, and I am so ready for Grilling season. Like For real!
I have so many ideas for Summer recipes. I cannot wait to share them with the most amazing people in the world(yes, you!).
Summer is my favorite time of the year, after all, I was born in the Caribbean (the DOMINICAN REPUBLIC to be exact) And yes I was shouting in my head when I said the Dominican Republic (I am more calm now) I am an island girl! and I just love it! Where are my Dominicans at?
So… White Rice is part of our culture. If you walk inside a Dominican Household at 12:00 pm on any day of the week you will find: The Dominican Flag (yes sir) what am I talking about? Well…the Dominican Flag (we are not talking about the actual flag) is our traditional dish. It is made of: White Rice, Pinto Beans and Chicken (the best thing in the world) I am actually craving that now at 1:00 am (while writing this) It is delicious!!!! Perhaps I should share the recipe with you guys.
Ok! That’s enough of Dominican Culture information. I know you are here because you want to make this mouthwatering rice recipe. Don’t worry… I got you! Let’s talk about this Spring Rice.
Ingredient List and Method at a Glance:
What do you need to make this awesomeness you are wondering?
- White Rice
- Bacon strips small diced
- Ripe Plantain small diced
- Frozen Peas
- Half a Red Bell Pepper small diced
- Scallions or Chives chopped
- Olive Oil
- Water (to cook the rice) about 8 cups
- Kosher Salt
Note: There are 4 cups in one pound. Add 2 cups of water for every cup of rice.
The Method at a Glance:
- Cook bacon and chopped ripe plantain in a skillet. Until bacon becomes crispy and plantain is charred.
- Bring about 8 cups of water to a boil in a medium pot, add salt and olive oil.
- Add rice. Let it cook at high heat until the water reduces (almost dry).
- Add peas and chopped bell pepper and stir.
- Lower the heat to low (as low as you can) and cover the pot. Let it cook for about 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes stir the rice and add ripe plantain, bacon, and scallions. Stir and cover for 3 more minutes.
- Garnish with scallions.
Finally, I wish I could describe (I actually can) This Spring White Rice recipe, is sweet (not like sweet, sweet) but you get the idea, ok let me go back to the description. Please keep reading.
This Spring White Rice recipe is sweet, savory, delicious, and you need to make it and enjoy life just like I did while eating a whole plate and reflecting on how amazing God is.
Ok, if that’s not inspirational I don’t know what is.
Wait! Before you go do not forget to check this Breaded Chicken with Green Sauce recipe. It is everything you want.
Have a great weekend amazing people!
God Bless You!
Did you make this recipe? Do not forget to tag us on Facebook or Instagram @ascrumptiousbite.
Spring White Rice
This delicious Spring White Rice recipe is everything you want. It is simple to make and is the perfect side dish.
- 1lb white rice (about 4 cups)
- 3 bacon strips small diced
- 1 ripe plantain small diced
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- half a red bell pepper small diced
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions or chives plus extra to garnish
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt
- water to cook rice (about 8 cups)
- Step 1 1. Cook bacon and chopped ripe plantain on a skillet, until bacon becomes crispy and plantain is charred.
- Step 2 2. Bring about 8 cups of water to a boil in a medium size pot, add salt and olive oil.
- Step 3 3. Add rice to the water. Let it cook at high heat until the water reduces (almost dry).
- Step 4 4. Add peas and chopped bell pepper and stir.
- Step 5 5. Lower the heat to low (as low as you can) and cover the pot. Let the rice cook for about 15 minutes covered.
- Step 6 5. After 15 minutes, uncover the pot and stir the rice, add plantain, bacon, and scallions. Cover again for about 3 minutes.
- Step 7 Notes: Garnish with extra scallions.